BluJeanBeads

BluJeanBeads
Banner from my Etsy shop

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Turquoise

Turquoise is one of my favorite colors. I find it such a refreshing color and believe it or not, I look great when I wear a turquoise blouse or sweater. 

What is not to like?  Turquoise reminds you of water, it reminds you of gemstones and it reminds you of the sky.  Turquoise will also let you think of Sante Fe or Taos, and it will make you think of Persia or even Egypt.


Facts I found from www.gemstone.org:

  • Turquoise has been worn since approximately 3,000 BC
  • Persians thought it protected the wearer from an unnatural death.
  • Persian scholar Al-Quazwini wrote "that the hand that wears a turquoise and seals with it will never see poverty."
I have always loved turquoise in southwestern jewelry or in big nuggets strung on a single strand. It can look elegant or it can look Blue Jean casual.

Common substitutes for natural turquoise is magnesite.

No comments:

Post a Comment