BluJeanBeads

BluJeanBeads
Banner from my Etsy shop

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mixed Media

I recently bought a new sewing machine and I can't wait to put it to use.  But I make jewelry....Hmmm....I can see myself making mixed media/fiber art pendants to go on chokers.  I have not had a sewing machine in 20 or so years. I had one that had tension issues but I was able to make my son his first little comforter and curtain valances for the various apartments we lived in as a military family.

So I am pretty psyched.  When I was in high school, I used to sew basic little tee shirt tops and little A-line skirts with elastic waist bands.  They were so cute. (I was only 68 lbs when I entered high school).  So I am looking forward to recapturing that skill, although it has been 20 or more years since I have used a sewing machine.

Learning to make jewelry about two years ago set off a firestorm of creativity in me. Up until that time, I spent my creative time gardening and planning gardening beds, writing political poetry and knitting scarves.  I worked at a job that was  emotionally draining and often couldn't do much creativly as I was burned out when I got home....I did keep the gardening up. That was merely a therapeutic exercise and I loved the results of creating vignettes in pots for my deck.

Then my sister in law taught me how to use crimp beads, and I created, under her tutelage, my first necklace.  That lit this spark and now, I am viewing art differently, decorating my house differently and creating a piece of jewelry almost every day.  I am absolutely enchanted by my sister's Etsy shop (www.etsy.com/shop/Ashar) and love working on mine - posting product, designing, marketing and thinking of what item my next customer may buy (www.etsy.com/shop/BluJeanBeads).  I love to look at artisan created items made by my team here in Olympia or my team in Seattle.

I never copy but allow the creativity of others to seep into my creation bones.  What can jumpstart your creativity and get you to look at all the beauty in the world?  Something from my shop?  A lovely bead?  A beautiful fabric or art book?  A poem, a picture, or a beautiful child?  Find your muse....create....sew...

1 comment:

  1. Well designing,customer service and artisan woman, it is obvious that your creative juices are flowing. With that new she she la la sewing machine of yours, you can begin with sewing dog jackets, and sooner or later the Queen of England will start calling you for custom dog jackets for those spoiled little Corgies. Upward and onward I always say. Cherri-o and what what!

    ReplyDelete